Role of NIAD-UE
▲Go to the top of this page
NIAD-UE was established in accordance with the Act on General Rules for Independent Administrative Agency and the Act on the National Institution for Academic Degrees and University Evaluation, Independent Administrative Agency. NIAD-UE seeks to improve the standard of education and research at universities and colleges (viz. universities, junior colleges, colleges of technology, and inter-university research institutes; the same shall apply hereinafter) by evaluating education and research activities at such higher education institutions. Furthermore, by awarding academic degrees based on its evaluation of various learning outcomes at higher education institutions other than universities, it seeks to achieve a society that appropriately evaluates diverse learning outcomes. In doing so, its ultimate objective is to contribute to the development of higher education in Japan; as such, NIAD-UE carries out the following duties.
- Evaluation of education, research, and other activities of universities and colleges, and disclosure of evaluation results to the universities and colleges concerned, as well as to the public, in order to contribute to enhancing the standard of education and research at universities and colleges;
- Awarding of academic degrees (bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees) in accordance with the provisions of the School Education Law;
- Research concerning the evaluation of education and research activities at universities and colleges, and research concerning the evaluation of the learning outcomes required for the awarding of academic degrees;
- Gathering, collation, and dissemination of information concerning the evaluation of education and research activities at universities and colleges, and information concerning various learning opportunities at universities;
- Evaluation of education and research activities at national universities and inter-university research institutes, based on requests from MEXT's National University Corporation Evaluation Committee, and disclosure of the results thereof to the Committee, the national university or inter-university research institute concerned, and the general public.
1-29-1 Gakuen-nishimachi Kodaira-shi,Tokyo 187-8587 Japan TEL:+81-42-307-1500 FAX:+81-42-307-1552